New Bright Professor of Engineering, Chair Professor and Head of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Online Publication List
- Data Mining and Artificial Intelligence: Transfer Learning, Lifelong Machine Learning, Planning.
| Google Scholar Profile
| Transfer Learning Survey, Software and Data Resources
Transfer Learning in Social Recommendations
| MIT Technology Review Article
Transfer Learning Papers in Recent Conferences (Link
) | Book: Crafting Your Research Future
, Morgan&Claypool Publishers (link
) | Hong Kong RGC Research Frontiers Article: Heterogeneous Transfer Learning Eng
Positions and Education:
- 2015 - present: CSE Department Head, University New Bright Professor of Engineering and Chair Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- 2012 - 2014, Founding Head, Huawei Noah Ark Research Lab
- 2001- present: HKUST: Full Professor (2007 - ) Associate Department Head (PG and Research) (2011 - 2012), Postgraduate Coordinator (2007-2009), Associate Professor, 2001-2007, Founding Co-Director of RMBI Program HKUST (2007-2011)
- 1995 - 2001: NSERC Industry Research Chair (1995-2001), Associate/Full Professor at Simon Fraser University, BC Canada (1995 - 2001)
- 1989 - 1995: Assistant/Associate Professor, Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont. Canada
- 1999 - 2000: Visiting Researcher at Microsoft Research China and University of Washington, USA
- Laboratory Affiliations: AI and Databases
- AAAI Fellow (2013 - ) Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intellignece
- for significant contributions to AI Planning, Data Mining and Case-based Reasoning
- AAAS Fellow (2012 - ) American Association for the Advancement of Science
- for significant contributions to Data Mining, Learning and Planning: theory, applications, and services
- IAPR Fellow (2012 -) International Association of Pattern Recognition
- for significant contributions to Data Mining and Transfer Learning
- IEEE Fellow (2009 - ) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- for Significant Contributions to the Understanding and Application of Intelligent Planning, Learning and Data Mining
- ACM Distinguished Scientist (2011 - ) Association of Computing Machinery, Link to ACM
- Two champions out of three dedicated tasks in Nokia Mobile Data Challenge (Nokia MDC), 2012: see Announcement.
- ACM CIKM-2011 Best Interdisciplinary Paper Award: Ou Jin, Nathan Nan Liu, Yong Yu and Qiang Yang. Transferring Topical Knowledge from Auxiliary Long Text for Short Text Understanding. Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (ACM CIKM 2011). Glasgow, UK. Oct 2011.
- Third place in the rating prediction of ACM KDDCUP 2011, Yahoo! Music Recommendation Challenge (Team Coach of Inner Peace team) (more info)
- Champion (Team Coach) of the 2005 ACM KDDCUP Competition on all three performance metrics. See related news item at the university and atKDNuggets. (Also see: our system demonstration: http://q2c.cs.ust.hk/q2c/)
- Co-Champion for the System ARMS (with Kangheng Wu and Yunfei Jiang) for learning planning models
First International Competition on Knowledge Engineering for Planning and Scheduling, ICAPS 2005, Monterey, CA, USA
- Champion (Team Coach, Tied for #1 Overall) of the 2004 ACM KDDCUP Competition
- Co-winner of the 1996 Automated Software Engineering Conference best paper award
- Co-winner of the 1994 Canadian AI Conference, best paper award
Conference and Society Activities:
- Program Chair, IJCAI 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina from July 25th to August 1st, 2015.
- Best Paper Award Committee Chair, ACM WSDM 2015.
- Chinese AI Society Vice Chair, 中国 人工智能学会海外副理事长、 理事和常务理事 （2014 - ）
- Judge, 2014 Alibaba Big Data Contest, Aug 2014. Media
- General co-chair: ACM RecSys 2013, Hong Kong, China, Oct 2013.
- Program co-chair: IEEE Big Data Conference, 2013. CA USA Oct 2013.
- General Chair, ACM KDD 2012, Beijing, China, Aug 12-16, 2012. Interviewing Chinese KDD Scholars for KDD 2012: A Conversation with the Chinese KDD Leaders (link).
- IJCAI Trustee (2011 - 2017), IJCAI 2013 Publicity Chair and Area Chair.
- Vice Chair of ACM SIGART (ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence). July 2010.
- More Conference Activities
Advisory Committee Membership:
- 《踹不倒的谷歌大狗是怎样炼成的？》2015.2.24: Link， GEO视界
- 《人工智能的冬天》福布斯中文网，人工智能专栏, 2015. 2.16: Link , Report
- “《星际穿越》,江湖和人工智能"，2014. 11.30: Link
- 华为人报： 大数据三问 （Oct 20, 2014) (Three Questions on Big Data)
June 26， 2014 Pheonix TV Interview on Big Data 凤凰卫视，时尚手册：走 进大数据
- China Big Data Technology Conference 2013
- A Conversation with Ren Zhengfei on Innovation, 2012
- View on Big Data: Speech at Huawei Cloud Conference 2013
Article in 'The Standard' newspaper on Big Data, Hong Kong, 2013
- News on AAAI Fellow, 2013
- News on AAAS Fellow, 2012
- Huawei Win Win Magazine Article on Social Media， 2011
- MIT Technology Review: Web Images to Ads 2011
- Automatic Knowledge Discovery (in Chinese, from `10,000 Scientific Challenges'; 《10000个科学 难题——信息科 学卷>>，Science Press)
|IdeasLab@Davos, Switzerland, "Bridging the Virutal and Physical Worlds with Artificial Intelligence", Jan 23 2015.
- Talk at University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, UESTC Chengdu, China. User Modeling in Big Data. Jan 2015. Link
- Invited Talk at City University of Hong Kong, Big Data Forum, Oct 13 2014 (Media).
- Invited Talk in NYU Shanghai, Big Data Forum, Nov 13-14, 2014.
- Invited Talk at Chinese Conference on Information Retrieval (CCIR 2014), Kun Ming, Yunnan, China, Aug 2014: "User Modeling in Big Data Era".
- Invited Talk at Big Data and Analytics Innovation Summit, "Modeling Users in Social and Mobile Big Data Market", Beijing, China, November 2014.
- 2014 iResearch Marketing Summit, "User Behavior Mining and Modeling in the Internet Era", July 24, 2014, Shenzhen, China.
- "An Overview of Transfer Learning" at 2014 Machine Learning Summer School, Beijing, China (Link)
Hong Kong IE Annual Conference on "Big Data in a Big City", May 2014
- Invited Speaker at BNP-Paribas 5th Asia Pacific TMT Conference "Monetizing Connectivity", May 2014
- Invited Speaker at the Big Data Innovation Summit, 2013: User Modeling in Social Media and Big Data, March 2014.
- Invited Speaker at Tencent Technology Sharing Day, Title: User Modeling in Big Data, Shenzhen China. April 2014
- Keynote Speaker at Huawei Cloud Conference 2013, Into the Big Data, Shanghai, 2013 (link)
- Keynote Speaker: PAKDD 2013, Brisbane, Australia, April 2013. Title: Big Data, Lifelong Machine Learning and Transfer Learning.
- Keynote Speaker: ACM WSDM 2013, Rome Italy, Feb 2013. Title: Big Data, Lifelong Machine Learning and Transfer Learning.
- Keynote Speaker at ADMA 2012 Conference, Nanjing, China, Dec 2012. Title: Transfer Learning with Applications.
- Invited Speaker at ACM KDD-2012 Workshop on Cross-domain Knowledge Discovery on Web and Social Networks. Title: Heterogeneous and Source-Free Transfer Learning in Data Mining. Beijing, China Aug 12, 2012.
- Keynote speaker at the 7th IFIP International Conference on Intelligent Information Processing (IIP2012), 12-15 October, 2012 in Guilin, China. Title: Transfer Learning and Applications.
- Invited Talk at Taiwan AI Society Annual Conference (TAAI-2012), Tainan, Taiwan, Nov 2012.
- Invited Speaker at SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM-12), Title: Cross-Domain Knowledge Transfer in Data MiningAnaheim, CA USA, April 26-28, 2012. (PDF)
- Keynote Talk at PCC (Chinese Pervasive Computing Conference, 2011), Title: "Collaborative, Cross-Domain Activity Recognition For Ambient Living (协作及跨域环境下的动作识别)", Sept 17, 2011, Tsinghua University, China.
- Invited Talk at IJCAI Workshop on Social Web Mining: Transfer Learning in Social Recommendations. July 25, 2011. Barcelona, Spain.
- Keynote at 2011 Chinese Conference on Data Mining (CCDM 2011, 中国数据挖掘年会): "From Learning by Analogy to Transfer Learning", May 2011, Guangzhou, China.
- Distinguished Lecture Series, Academia Sinica, Institute of Information Science, Taipei Taiwan. May 2011 (link)
- 2010 Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Keynote Speech: Data Mining for Sensor-based Activity Recognition. Dec 2010.
- IJCAI 2009 Invited Talk: Activity Recognition: Linking Low-level Sensors to High-level Intelligence, Pasadena CA USA. July 17 2009. (Video&Slides@ Videolectures.net; and invited paper in PDF format)
- ACL 2009 Invited Talk: Heterogeneous Transfer Learning with Real-world Applications, Singapore, August 2009 (Slides in PDF Format (2.5MB), andinvited paper in PDF format)
More invited talks...
Hong Kong Services: